Monday, January 7, 2019




Why a microscope?

Because I’m curious. I’ve always been fascinated by the sciences but never had the self-discipline to actually study one beyond high school. Then comes the cheap digital microscope (really just a camera with a magnifier) so I got one. 


Table Sugar
Grape stem cross section


It was fun but after a while I wanted more.








The next step was a student microscope with camera.  Didn’t break the budget and I think it’s a good way to start. Problem is that I didn’t know anything about microscopes. Time to dive into books and internet. As would be expected, a Google search found very helpful sites.





Microbehunter.com has been my premier microscope tutor. Oliver Kim has  great videos.  His explanations are clear and he presents topics in plain language without a lot of technical jargon even when discussing more advanced topics. There's a forum that even has a beginner's corner. I don’t have enough words to express my delight at finding such a great place to learn.

Of course, everything I learn leads to more Google searches. My notebook is beginning to fill fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment